Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why I Run.

It's been a busy week, starting with running 13.1 miles through the streets of Philadelphia.
Me and my friend Kathleen with our free post-race alcoholic beverages.
New bling.


This was the first race where I thought about/prayed for specific people during each mile. And I do think it made a difference, even though I finished three minutes slower than my PR. My official finishing time was 2:15:42, which I'm satisfied with.

I know most of you are probably wondering, why the HELL would someone voluntarily run for two hours straight? (Or five hours, if you count my marathons.) 

It's kind of hard to explain. I like the feeling of being a runner more than I like the actual act of running. I love knowing that I CAN do it. I love finishing. I love being able to run farther and faster. When I first started, running more than a mile seemed impossible. Now I know that it isn't.

Running makes me feel strong and healthy and lucky. It helps me stay disciplined and in shape. I hope to continue doing it as long as possible.

The running community is also great. Every time I run a race I love being part of something bigger than myself, part of a group of people running toward the same goal. For most races, that goal is just the finish line. For a lot of races, like the ones I run with Team in Training, runners are supporting a charity, raising money and awareness for a good cause. How many sports can you say that about? Most of the runners I've met are truly amazing people.

Anyway. I almost threw up the first time I ran a mile. Now I've run three marathons and a bunch of half marathons. And if I can do it, so can you. Yeah, I know you're thinking, ha. That's impossible. But don't forget that that's what I thought too. But it's not, and I have the medals to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment